JBL Boombox 3 Review
JBL Boombox 3
- Release date: September 25, 2022
- Price: Price not available
- Power Output: 180 W
- Waterproof: IP67
- Bluetooth: v 5.3
- Model Number: JBLBOOMBOX3BLKAM
Table of Contents
The JBL Boombox 3 is a portable Bluetooth speaker which is one of the loudest out of the JBL Boomboxes Bluetooth speakers, with monstrous bass and a rich audio spectrum like in a good night club or concert of your favorite band.
The JBL Boombox 3, compared to the previous version of the Boombox 2, certain significant changes have been made, namely, the bass has been improved and now the sound has become perfect.
The JBL Boombox 3 is ideal for:
- A backyard party
- DJ sets
- Relaxing by the pool or on the beach
- Anyone who appreciates perfect sound and amazing bass, but doesn't mind the bulky build of the Boombox 3
- Very powerful audio performance, with booming bass and sculpted h
- IP 67 rating
- Multipoint Bluetooth technology
- Power bank feature - charges your external device
- No voice assistant
JBL Boombox 3 Specs
JBL Boombox 3
Maximum music playing time
Output power (Watts)
1 x 80W RMS-subwoofer + 2 x 40W
Dynamic frequency response range
40 Hz - 20 kHz
Sound Level (Good <3.4 dB)
Goes with a sturdy metal hanger with silicone grips, two side caps, and a distinctive waterproof and dustproof fabric
10 000 mAH
Stereo Pair Mode
A2DP 1.3, AVRCP 1.6
2.402GHz - 2.480GHz
Bluetooth transmitted modulation
GFSK, /4DQPSK, 8DPSK
Bluetooth transmitter power
≤ 9 dBm (EIRP)
USB Audio (charge out: 5V/2A)
48.2 x 25.7 x 20.0
19.0 x 10.1 x 7.9
6.7 (kgs) / 14.7 (lbs)
WHAT'S IN THE BOX
1 x JBL Boombox 3
Power cord (AC plugs and their number varies by region)
1 * quick start guide
1 x safety data sheet
1 x warranty card
Design and Dimensions
H-u-u-u-ge! Alright, it’s a really heavy device with 6.7 kilograms of pure sound quality, almost half a meter long, and 26 cm in height. You would never call it a portable Bluetooth speaker, however, it is! Let’s prove it:
- It has an eye-catching carrying handle, which goes all along the speaker.
- The handle has some orange touches at the bottom for better grip.
- The sturdy grip is made of silicone, again for more convenience while transferring.
Just take your music and your style anywhere you want to.
It’s all black in color with an iconic JBL silhouette and a big JBL logo at the front. Need to mention that twin side caps accomplish this design. The base as same as the handle has those orange touches for more effective stabilization.
Get an overlook at it again: the speaker looks stylish and refined even with its massive dimensions.
The Bluetooth speakers are utilized for distinctive events so they ought to be solid sufficient to resist inclement weather. You’ll be able to bring it anyplace. What about a terrace pool party? Yep! It’s waterproof and can be submerged for 1 meter for 30 minutes. Well, actually, do not try it out, and take into account that Bluetooth connectivity gets worse underwater. What if there’s a sudden wind and a little dust storm? No issue, it’s all secured being totally dustproof for your outdoor adventures.
Let’s Connect It
This portable Bluetooth speaker is simple and convenient in connectivity. Just turn it on and look for it on your device. There’s a JBL Portable app in case you want to customize your music settings, slightly equalize them and instantly connect multiple speakers.
Furthermore, you can link it with the JBL PartyBoost compatible speakers through a JBL PartyBoost to have powerful stereo sound. Btw, more than two speakers could be connected.
The basic equalizer complements the application’s capabilities and allows you to adjust the trebles, mids, and bass. The application is pretty simple and understandable. We wish the equalizer was more substantial.
The default setting is not the best. You need to download the JBL app to boost mid-bass and treble.
This speaker features a 3.5 mm aux port, compared to other big-sized devices which usually lack it, so you can use it when wireless Bluetooth streaming is an issue. An aux cable technically has fewer complications compared to a Bluetooth signal, yet the latency may be affected.
Bluetooth has been upgraded to the 5.3 version and allows one to join other external devices simultaneously to the Boombox 3 and share favorite songs. With the new version of Bluetooth 5.3, the delays became even smaller and latency is overall improved.
New 3-way drivers give our acoustic design higher sensitivity, increase clarity and reduce distortion for deep bass and a rich audio spectrum – no matter how hard you turn the volume up. The Boombox 3 is rated for the JBL Original Pro Sound, so it follows all the requirements to be considered as music concert equipment. So, let’s see what it gets:
- A powerful 80 watts RMS subwoofer for low-frequency sound, 40 watts of two mid-range drivers (woofers), and 10 watts of two tweeter drivers (AC mode) for high-frequency sound. It gives 130 watts of output power, which means the speaker delivers tunes clearly and loudly.
Most powerful speaker model out of all portables.
- Dynamic frequency response range: increased from 40 Hz to 20 kHz, which is able to make even more massive sound producing better bass performance.
Okay, honestly, if two people stand in around 2-3 meters away from a speaker when it’s on a maximum, they won’t be able to hear each other at all! It is super-loud.
- Acoustic design sharpens clarity: the increase in volume is not a big deal, and the sound is not distorted, which is more than better.
The speaker sounds much better than the Boombox 2. From our perspective, Partyboost is a good option to improve the sound, but the depth is better in stereo. We also recommend updating the mobile app to firmware 3.0. Only with it you’ll get clear, deep, and clean bass tunes.
The JBL says that the maximum music playing time is 24 hours. The life expectancy of the speaker depends on the volume you’ve chosen. Approximately 18 hours is lifespan if a volume is around 50-60%, which is very loud. Overall, the battery mode provides 136 watts of power sufficient to supply a pool party or backyard, or elsewhere outdoor event with music. It’ll take up to 6.5 hours to fully power it through a charging cable.
This PartyBoost speaker acts as a power bank by charging external devices via USB. So, don’t worry if your phone or tablet is about to die, you always can supply it through this gadget. A charge of the single speaker is able to provide 7-8 hours of non-stop playing music in parallel charging devices.
The plugged-in mode provides 180 watts of output power enough to use a single speaker playing music for house or backyard parties with a plug nearby. Basically, there’s no need to use a PartyBoost mode and a second speaker as the JBL Boombox 3 literally shines whether indoors or outdoors.
Summing-Up: Whom is the JBL Boombox 3 for?
Let’s briefly sum up the important point of the analysis: is it worth buying the JBL Boombox 3? Our answer is yes. It’s definitely worth purchasing the JBL Boombox 3. Even if you have the JBL Boombox 2, we recommend an upgrade. The sound and bass of the Boombox 3 is outstanding.
Why you should get the JBL Boombox 3:
- The JBL Original Pro Sound: delivers epic all-day sound with monstrous bass
- Longest Play Time: listen all day long with the built-in Li-ion battery that supports up to 24 hours of playback
- Relatively portable speaker to transfer: unless you can lift and carry it, the output power is sufficient to fulfill the atmosphere of the event
- Bluetooth® V5.3 Wireless Streaming: wirelessly connect up to two mobiles or tablets to the speaker and take turns enjoying the JBL Original Pro sound
- JBL PartyBoost: pair with two JBL PartyBoost compatible speakers for stereo sound, or connect multiple JBL PartyBoost compatible speakers for better dynamics of music
- IP67 Waterproof and Dustproof: take the speaker to the shore or pool not worrying about splashes, rain, dust particles, or even falling into a pool
- Built-in power supply: charges smartphones and tablets via USB even while playing music
“The JBL Boombox 3 has unique updates over our previous version, with a redesigned look, a new subwoofer, and sound quality, that’s greater than ever,” said Dave Rogers, the president of Lifestyle Audio at HARMAN.
We know is a lot of money, but if you want quality, it’s worth buying. The bass speaks for itself! It is the best on the market.